Saturday, April 14, 2012

DRUGSTORE FOUNDATION SMACKDOWN!


Ladies and gentlemen welcome to the showdown of the year!!!! In this corner we have Revlon and her partner L'Oreal, and in that corner we have Rimmel and her partner Maybelline. Who will win?  It just might be Almay, Covergirl or Nuetrogena....LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!!!

:) I'm on the never-ending search for prefect skin. While a good skin care routine is a must, a good foundation is also a bonus, so here's my mass review of most of the drugstore foundations I have tried.

Revlon Colorstay:

Pros: Covers like a Mo Fo! I have a more in-depth review, but this the foundation everyday because it stays on my oily skin all day and it doesn't budge until I take it off. I love that they have two versions of this foundation, 1 for oily/combo skin and one for dry/normal

Cons: Its thick. I mix mine with a moisturizer to thin it a bit and if you read my previous posts you know I hate that it does not have a pump  so it can really messy.

L'Oreal True Match

Pros: Third times the charm for me and this foundation. I hated it at first but now I really like it. It can give a very sheer effect but it also can be built up. It gives off a nice dewy finish because it is more liquidy than most drugstore foundations. Oh and they have a HUGE shade selection, which is great if you have lighter or darker skin

Cons: For me it's not very long-lasting. Towards the end of my workday I can see it fading from oiler areas on my face. Also it doesn't have a pump so yup it can get messy.

L'Oreal Visible Lift

Pros: This is my new favorite. It has awesome coverage and longevity! A little goes a long way which is great because this on the more expensive end of drugstore foundations. As far as "visible lift"  I think it works slightly because it fills in small pores and wrinkles giving a smooth look,  and oh did I mention, it has a pump!

Cons: Because it is very bendable  a small amount is all you need but it can be hard to control how much comes out of the pump sometimes.

Maybelline Superstay:

Pros: This is the prefect combo of the Revlon Colorstay and L'Oreal True Match. Its  thick but not too thick and gives really nice coverage. Lasts a normal 8 hour work day once set with a good face powder.

Cons: Doesn't do too well under temperature change. I live in California and this foundation tends to oxidize when it gets too hot.

Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse

Pros: It has a pump and is very thick giving a full coverage airbrushed effect.

Cons: Do not like this one. Its thick and gloopy and doesn't blend all that well. Also I noticed after I put it in it kind of separated around certain areas on my face, ewww

Rimmel Stay Matte
Pros: Aww my first foundation ever :) Don't know if they sell this anymore but it came in a squeeze tube and gave very nice coverage. Because it was do dense a little went a long way and it really helped control oil.

Cons: It hard to blend. I normally used just my fingers with this foundation

Nuetrogena Healthy Skin

Pros: Often compared to the NARS Sheerglow, this foundation gives the nicest sheer dewy coverage. This is perfect for the days you don't want to wear any foundation but still want to look out together. At one point this was my everyday foundation and I would just to my fingers to blend it in.

Cons:I fell  out of love with it :( Don't know what happened but I just kinda lost interest in this foundation half way through the bottle. Oh, no pump and very expensive

Covergirl Clean Foundation

Pros: Cheap and different types depending on your skins needs

Cons: It's just weird! At first I thought  I found the perfect $4 foundation but that was a short-lived thought. It smells weird, turns blotchy and doesn't stay on

Almay Smart Shade

Pros: Interesting concept, comes out white, changes color while you blend into skin.

Cons: It turned powdery on my skin and didn't give much coverage and there are only three "colors" to  choose from light, medium or dark.

So there you are my fellow bloggers, the drugstore foundation smackdown!!! Who won??? No  one :( Although I love my Colorstay and Visible Lift I'm still on the search for the illusive "perfect" foundation :)
If you have any suggestions  for a new foundation please leave a comment or if you want a more in-depth review of any of the foundations I mentioned just let me know :)

2 comments:

  1. wow what a great in-depth review!! have you tried a mineral foundation yet? I am stopping by from the blog hop to say hello :) Feel free to check out my blog, I have a giveaway going on at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried mineral foundation but I just cant seem to make it work for my oily skin :( Hopping ur way right now to follow :)

      Delete